History and the Goals

 

Established in 1957, the Horticultural Experiment Station (HES) is a subsidiary of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the National Chung-Hsing University. HES was initially founded in North Dongyanshan, Ren’ai Township, Nantou County, and it encompasses an area of 10 ha.

In 1975, the Tropical Horticultural Branch Station, a branch of HES, was established in the Hsinhua Forest Station, Tainan County, and encompasses an area of 30 ha. However, this branch has been incorporated into the Department of Forestry at the National Chung-Hsing University later.

Finally, in 1986, the headquarters, including Viticulture Research Station, also known as the Grape Center, was established in Wu-Feng District, Taichung City, and it encompasses an area of 7.7 ha. The Viticulture Research Station provides 2 ha of land in conjunction for internships in the Department of Horticulture since 1992. The land is cultivated with fruit trees, vegetable, and flower crops to support the internship courses and experimental research.

Additionally, the station produces grape, tea, and virus free seedlings of fruit trees and promotes education and international cooperation.